The ultimate packing list - in my cabin bag

I do not travel much, so I do not have much experience as to what to pack when going away for an longish holiday to the other side of the world. Actually I have not traveled overseas since I was a little girl, and in my old age I have a habit of over packing each time I fly interstate *just* for the weekend.

So after scouring the Internet and some of my old magazines (and given I am off to the US for a month in a month's time!!) I have come up with what I think are the ultimate packing lists for an overseas holiday suitable for a TRANS-SEASONAL climate.

Without further ado, here is the list that I have complied as to what to pack into my cabin bag (my old and faded, but trusty Kenneth Cole handbag): 
  • Purse.
  • Travel papers.
  • Toiletry/make-up bag including hydrating facial mist, lip balm and hand cream.
  • Tissues.
  • Anti-bacterial wipes.
  • Hand sanitiser gel.
  • Hat and gloves (we arrive in New York after 9 pm, so I can only imagine that it will be cold. The last thing I want to be doing is rummaging through my suitcase looking for these items). 


To combat the four D's of travel: dirty hands, dry hands, de-hydrated face and dry lips.  Pictured is MAC Fix + Rose, Jurlique Rose Hand Cream sachet, Jurlique Moisturising Hand Sanitiser and Biotherm Aquasource Moisturizing Balm for the lips.

Special items for a long-haul international flight:
  • A couple magazines - I know that they are heavy, but magazines on a plane is a bit of a ritual for me.
  • Pashmina - I will use this as a blanket on the plane, but it will also double as my scarf throughout my travels. 
  • Sleep aid widgets such as an eye-mask, neck pillow, earplugs (in case there are crying children in our vicinity) and sleeping pills.

The in-case-our-luggage-goes-missing items:
  • Change of underwear.
  • Thick woolen socks.

Also coming on the plane with me is my camera bag which will contain my DSLR camera and my compact camera (along with their chargers).

What have I forgotten???

13 comments:

  1. Great packing list! But may I ask why you are carrying the chargers on board?

    I usually carry my minimal make-up in case luggage is lost (just enough so I don't scare anyone in the streets - concealer, a lippie and my NARS Laguna/Orgasm duo) - but I think most people wouldn't need this.

    When's your trip? You must be uber excited! :)

    xx
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brigs! Good point about the charges - you are right, they can be checked in!
      My next post will be about my makeup bag. Don't worry I am taking the bare minimum also - not a whole train case of eye shadows ;)
      We head off in exactly a month now... It's come up so quickly. x

      Delete
    2. If you can spare the room, I would still carry chargers on board. Especially if they're for your phone/iPad/laptop/camera. I travel quite frequently and it's always a relief to have them with me if I'm stuck in a particularly long layover or I have a power emergency.

      Good call on the socks, the pashmina and the 4D remedies! Have a great time in the States.

      Delete
  2. Great list, I can't think of anything you've forgotten! I usually take a variation of those things on planes with me.

    How exciting!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am excited... although I will miss my kitties :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh so exciting! the only thing i'd suggest if you have it are a nice set of noise-cancellation headphones (like Bose). i always bring mine when i'm flying and they are great for minimizing screaming children while still allowing me to enjoy the inflight movie/announcements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bose headphones may have to go on my US shopping list - they are $100 cheaper over there and that is just going by the RRP!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! February will go fast! I agree with Miss Sophie the Bose noise-cancellation head phones are a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February going fast is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment :)

      Delete
  6. Great list. I travel a lot for work, and can tell you that the pashmina/scarf is absolutely compulsory. I also swear by make-up remover wipes (for general face-cleaning and freshness), and I almost always stock up on new YSL concealer through duty free, which takes care of looking semi-decent at the other end.
    I also HATE taking my regular purse with me when I travel, so I usually take a coin purse and a travel wallet which I carry separately. Sounds like it will be a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - my every day purse is really bulky and totally unnecessary to take overseas.

      Delete
  7. I travel quite a bit for work including internationally several times a year and I would look at scaling it down a little. Bring as few chargers as possible. If you have USB cables use can use something like the apple charger and just swap your cables over. Just check though, I have a HTC cable that doesn't work so well. This way I can charge my mac, ipad, ipod and phone without many bulky adaptors.

    You might want to reconsider the hat and gloves as well if you are going straight from the airport to a hotel. Take a coat with pockets. The less stuff you have to sort through at immigration the better and this sort of stuff gets lost. NY isn't unbearably cold in March if you are doing a short dash or even on the subway.

    Personally I would leave the neckpillow, they end up really uncomfy! If you have any day time sectors you probably won't use it much.

    You have so little room that the less you can take the better, also check to see what might be provided in the amenities pack from the airline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I only have one i-device, but unfortunately each of my cameras require separate charges :(
      Thanks for your comments though - I'm sure when I'm actually packing (in less than 3 weeks now) I will cull things from my suitcase as I go. Whether or not I actually pack the scarf and gloves in my carry on is greatly weather dependent - will make the call the day we fly out. Need to pack both items though as I'm sure Chicago & San Fran will be freezing! (by our Australian standards anyway) :)

      Delete