Makeup organisation and my new makeshift vanity table

So we finally bought a stylish new desk for the study nook (pictures to come once we find a stylish new chair).  I was relieved that we could finally get rid of the cheap and ugly hand me down desk that my boyfriend has been using for years.

I was so happy about getting rid of it, that I even considered taking to this old desk with a sledge hammer to release my pent-up emotions about "stuff", but then I had an Oprah light bulb moment and I thought to myself I going to make a makeshift vanity table!

The results:



Not surprisingly the ugly desk looks a whole lot prettier (just) with a mirror and pretty girly things on top, also note the kitchy vintage glass for brush storage. Anyways this desk is in the spare room so the door can be shut at any time to hide it away.


Why the spare room? Well I usually get up before my boyfriend each morning and I would either need to turn on the lights or open the blinds to do my makeup - neither are especially nice things to be doing to someone who is trying to get a bit more sleep.  As a result I have been applying my make-up in the bathroom.  I have noticed however that over the course of each week the products slowly build up on the bathroom vanity which is not a large space by any stretch of the imagination (it's actually a very small space).  By the end of the week it looks damn messy to put it bluntly.  I find also that the majority of my makeup is neglected as I tend to use what has made it into the bathroom for the week (usually the same things that made it to the bathroom as the last week).

Enter the spare room.  Open the blinds in the morning and this room is bathed in natural light - perfect for putting on makeup.  Plus now that I have this 'pretty' vanity table, I have all the makeup that I own at my disposal which hopefully means that I will use it all and not neglect certain products.

What's that cool clear container that I see on top there? I hear you ask... well it's the KEJI 5 Drawer Desktop File in clear from Officeworks.  It was only $16.99!


The organiser also comes in a 4 drawer version where the bottom draw is twice the depth of the top three draws.  For the record, the depth of each draw of the 5 drawer unit perfectly houses eye shadows, palettes and tubes of stuff. Foundations can also be stored in there if you don't mind placing them horizontally.  Items that will not fit into the drawers of the 5 drawer unit are products such as moisturiser jars and powder jars, hence why my MUFE HD powder is sitting on the silver platter.

Yes, I know this Keji box not as cool as Kim Kardashian's makeup storage drawer set, but this will have to do whilst I wait to have my own custom designed box made up...

22 comments:

  1. I also have those drawers! They're so good for storage - but I've already filled mine up so now just have random products stashed around my desk.

    The table looks good!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawers are brilliant for the price aren't they? Whilst in Officeworks I thought about buying two sets because I was sure that I would need the room, surprisingly I have less cosmetics than I thought!

      Delete
  2. Excellent idea for reusing the desk. I love the idea of the drawers to organise your makeup - I have to confess to everything of mine fitting in one bag - and most of my stuff has been freebies at that. That's a lot of makeup brushes there - or is that what people are supposed to have and I am lacking? I have a 2 powder brushes (1 for makeup bag and 1 on bathroom shelf) and a free eyeshadow brush I got with a magazine. I feel like I'm missing out all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the desk really does belong in the trash as it is so ugly, but I figued this to be a good opportunity to road test having a vanity table. If I use it I will think about buying something a little more glam.
      Funny that you think I have a lot of cosmetics and brushes. I actually thought I had a lot more and I am pleasantly surprised that I have so little after organising myself. I should point out that I work in a corporate office so I "put on a face" each morning (not heavy make up though - more 'no makeup make up') :)
      With respect to brushes - I'm a novice! I recently got into the Real Techniques brushes but before that I only owned a few select Mac brushes and a clinique brush which I felt I needed to buy after having my eyemakeup done for free.

      Delete
  3. Great idea with the organiser from Officeworks - I've seen similar for A LOT more. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow i really like how the storage organiser looks! I was just in officeworks this afternoon. I have to make a trip back there next week so i'm definitely going to hunt this down :D I've stacked 3 clear jewellery drawers on top of each other to make my own version of 'the clear cube' lol It cost way more and i'm always worried about it tumbling over :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've very similar containers for the makeup - I got mine from Muji. They are very practical. I also like your idea of having a little tray for the brushes and bigger bottles. It makes it a lot easier to clean and move things around. I think I'm going to adopt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and organized! Impressive makeup collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of these except only the front is clear, the outside is black! I love the silver tray too :)

    http://my-arty-mind.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might just try that too! Those drawers I have seen them at Spotlight for crafters I guess, but what a great idea to store makeup :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Those drawers are a good find :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love being organized- this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so organised! I really need to do this too :)
    I've tagged you for a Liebster award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same last name :-D Lol.

      Delete
  12. Thank you s_khan1608 - I'll check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this at Officeworks but I wasnt sure if I should get it.I did'nt know if it will work,the size, enough space and what not.
    But it seems to work! So I shall get it. It's definitely better then having all my makeup spread around on my dresser! It makes it look like I have more make-up than I actually do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me - it works! It looks quite neat too.

      Delete
    2. Hi! I just bought this today and I am very happy with it! It was only $14.99 :-D Im glad I got it. It works so well :-) it's sturdy and the drawers open and close easily.
      But....I think I may need another one.Lol.I underestimated just how much makeup I have.oops.
      Any ideas on how to organize things in the drawers? I put the makeup in the order I put it on my face.lol.face.eyes.lips.I need two drawers for my lippies :-\ haha.

      Thanks for your support in my purchase! I would have pondered on rather than actually buying it.

      Delete
    3. How you describe is probably a good way to organise it :)

      Delete
  14. I have four of these with the extra deep drawers and they are GREAT for storage! I even have a little labeller so I've worked out a good order to have my drawers in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks lovely and organized! Hope your move went well, and the dust is settling, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My makeshift vanity went out with the hard rubbish when we moved :( ... still organising things in the new house. I'm taking my time too...

      Delete